Lady Liberty was created by a young Frenchman by the name of Frédérick Bartholdi. After his design was approved and he had been awarded a U.S. design patent, Bartholdi actually came overseas to America and personally selected New York Harbor as the site for his statue!
The Statue's torch was the first part constructed in France in 1876. On July 4th, 1884, the completed Statue was given as a gift to the United States; however, its reassembly was not completed until October 1886. In 1984, the original torch, now located in the lobby of the monument, was replaced by a new copper torch covered in 24K gold leaf which is lighted by floodlight at night. Unfortunately, the torch area above the statue’s raised arm has been closed since 1916 due to weakening of the copper in this area.
19 Amazing Facts