Say what you will about luck, but the number 13 is significant in U.S. history because of the 13 original American colonies that declared their independence from Great Britain in 1776. If you are superstitious, however, this might freak you out a bit:
- 13 steps on the pyramid of the Great Seal
- 13 letters in "Annuit Coeptis"
- 13 stripes in the shield on the eagle
- 13 stars above the eagle
- 13 letters in "E Pluribus Unum"
- 13 arrows in the eagle's left talon
- 13 leaves, and likewise, 13 fruits on the olive branch in its right talon